Croc attack witness heard ‘crocodile’ scream then saw bloodied sister with teeth marks


Eye-witnesses to a terrifying crocodile attack that left one woman in a coma after her sister heroically fought it off have spoken of the chaos during the incident.

On Sunday Melissa Laurie was dragged under the water by a crocodile while swimming in a lagoon with her sister Georgia, near Puerto Escondido in Mexico.

The Brit zookeeper was left fighting for her life after she was rescued from the jaws of a crocodile by her identical twin.

She was found floating face-down after several minutes of desperate searching about 10 miles from Puerto Escondido, a surfing resort popular with British holidaymakers.

As she cradled her sister and swam to a boat, the crocodile attacked the 28-year-old again.

The Daily Mail reports that eye-witnesses to the savage attack could hear the women’s desperate screams for help.

Certified guide Gerardo Escamilla Perez, who was showing another group the lagoon, said: “We started to hear shouts and noise and we saw that there were people screaming inside the mangroves.”

After wading in towards the twins he added: “It’s a dangerous area, even more so at this time of year because animals are nesting. I heard them shouting, ‘Crocodile, crocodile’.”

He told the publication he remembered seeing bite marks and that the woman’s head was covered in blood.

Moises Salinas, a 16-year-old hired to help out on one of the boats, said he recalled one man rush back ‘shouting about a crocodile.’

He said: “I jumped into the boat and got to where the ladies were. I could hear one of the girls shouting, ‘My sister! My sister!'”

He said he found Melissa being ‘cradled’ by her sister and said she was conscious but breathing heavily ‘like she couldn’t get enough air.’

He also spoke of the fear of those nearby and said that one man had jumped up into a tree, thinking the crocodile was nearby and might attack again.

Melissa Laurie developed sepsis from her wounds after the attack and was placed in a medically-induced coma to help her recover.

She has since come out of that coma and is breathing independently.

The twins, from Berkshire, had been in Mexico to volunteer, working in animal sanctuaries and for travel.

The pair had booked a tour of the Manialtepec Lagoon, ten miles from surfing resort Puerto Escondido but unbeknown to them, the guide they used was unlicensed.

He has since vanished from the area.